Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Altered Book

     Many years ago when I was in college I took a fascinating class called "World Religions" which included visiting churches in the local area (I lived in the San Francisco Bay area at the time).  It was a wonderful opportunity to learn about the beliefs and practices of others without feeling pressure to "join".
     When I started studying how to create an altered book, the first suggestion was to pick a theme.  This subject is interesting to me, so it's the theme I chose.
     I started out with a little old book (not a collector's edition!) and glued about 1/3" of the first pages together with decoupage.  Then I cut out the compartment through the front cover.  I used leftover lace, ribbon, jewelry, ink, and scrapbook papers to start decorating the pages.  I've ripped out pages of the book to make room for the altered pages.  Some pages are ripped or folded or sewn to reveal extra compartments.  Making the collage was fun too!
    So now I study, then add my notes and thoughts to this book.  I've already finished Hinduism, and am now working on the teachings of Confucius.  I'm not looking to join a religion, but instead trying to understand what others believe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment